33K worth of cellphones missing from Kirksville store

UPDATE: Aug. 26, 2014:

Police in Kirksville have released images of the suspected thief from Friday night's heist at Wal-Mart.

Surveillance video shows what appears to be a woman and a silver minivan.

Lieutenant Mark Wellman with the Kirksville Police Department told KTVO that the suspect apparently left the store through an alternate exit.

The theft is the latest in a crime spree at Wal-Mart stores across six different states.

Lieutenant Michael Gum of the Potosi, Missouri Police Department told KTVO that a theft at the Potosi Wal-Mart occurred just before 7 Friday morning.

Like the Kirksville theft, tens of thousands of dollars in cellphones and electronics were taken.

In Potosi, the thief reportedly broke a glass case with a trash can, then loaded the can with cellphones.

Lieutenant Gum says that earlier Friday morning, the same thieves took thousands of dollars in iPads from a Wal-Mart in De Soto, Missouri.

According to Gum, at least two people are believed to be involved.

He says that the same person always enters the store and the other drives the minivan.

Law enforcement officials across the state are unsure whether the person shown in surveillance footage shows a woman or a man dressed as a woman.

The Kirksville Police Department has a person of interest in the case, but they are not releasing their name at this time.

The person of interest appears to be a black female, wearing medical scrubs and driving a silver Chrysler van.

Anyone with information about the this case or any other theft is asked to contact the Kirksville Police Department at (660) 785-6945, Central Dispatch at (660) 665-5621, the Adair County Sheriffâ??s Office at (660) 665-5621, or anonymously at (660) 627-BUST (2878) or email


Kirksville police are investigating the theft of several thousand dollars worth of cellphones from the Kirksville Wal-Mart store.

The cellphones are reportedly valued at $33,000.

Wal-Mart filed a report on the theft shortly before 10 Saturday morning. It is believed the cellphones were taken sometime between late Friday and early Saturday.

As of Monday, no arrests have been made and police say they do not have any suspects.

Investigators are studying surveillance video of the theft.

(the Associated Press contributed to this story)