Authorities warn to be on the lookout for fraudulent checks
KIRKSVILLE, Mo. —
Authorities are reminding residents to be on the lookout for fraudulent checks being used in and around the Kirksville area.
Over the past few months, the Kirksville Police Department has seen several check frauds. They are usually checks that have been stolen and forged or that have been created online and printed off.
Law enforcement estimates that more than $3,000 in fraudulent checks have been cashed at several local businesses.
Authorities ask that all businesses and citizens pay attention when cashing or accepting a check.
Here are some tips to watch out for:
- Ask the presenter for two forms of identification
- Look for missing information (name, address, phone number, etc.)
- The fonts used on the checks are not the same
- The check number is either missing or significantly low (under 400)
If you have questions or feel something is suspicious about a check that someone is attempting to cash, contact law enforcement at the numbers below:
- Kirksville Police Department at 660-785-6945,
- Central Dispatch at 660-665-5621
- Adair County Sheriff’s Office at 660-665-4600
- Anonymously at 660-627-BUST (2878)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org