Back-to-Sports: Fueling Your Body for Optimal Performance
Back-to-Sports: Fueling your body for optimal performance. Dietitian Debbie Guild shows us three keys for fueling optimal performance in sports. WATCH VIDEO ABOVE to learn more.
3 Keys to Remember:
Power Up: Breakfast Every Day
*Carbohydrates for fuel
*Protein to stay full
Healthy Hydration: Drink Early & Often, Before Feeling Thirsty
* Goal: consume 4-6 ounces of water every 15 minutes of play
* Foods with fluid provide extra water and a boost of energy
Recover Quick: Re-fuel Within 2 Hours
* Carbohydrate to replenish energy stores
* Protein to boost muscle growth and repair
* Fluids and electrolytes to rehydrate
Peanut Butter & Banana Breakfast Smoothie:
All You Need:
1 cup fat-free or 1% low-fat chocolate milk
½ cup frozen banana slices
1 tbsp. peanut butter
½ tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
All You Do:
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender.
2. Blend until creamy and smooth.
3. Serve immediately, or chill until ready to enjoy.
Quick & Easy Protein Choices:
- Toast + peanut butter or other nut butter
- Sunflower seeds
- String cheese
- Hummus + veggies
- Low-fat yogurt + granola
- Low-fat milk
- Lean ham and sliced deli meat
- Citrus fruits