Beat the holiday bulge
Mon, 26 Nov 2012 13:39:20 GMT —
All you do:
After this past Thanksgiving holiday weekend, many of us may be feeling like we are carrying around a little bit of extra weight.
However, there are some simple ways to beat the holiday bulge this season.
Dieticians said by swapping ingredients for healthier ones in our favorite desserts are a great way to do just that.
By replacing one cup of butter or vegetable shortening with 2/3 cup of applesauce and 1/3 cup of butter, you will be saving 1,022 calories in an entire cake.
Dieticians said all you have to do is little bit of tweaking to make desserts healthier.
â??This is a tiramisu recipe for the coffee lovers out there. I took skim milk, some fat-free white chocolate jello and then some instant coffee. Mixed it all up, put it in fillo shell doughs, then I just put some chocolate on the bottom of and you've got about a 80 calorie treat here versus a typical 200 without losing any flavor,â?? said Heather Ware, South Ottumwa Hy-Vee Dietician.
Mini Tiramisu Tarts
All you need:
½ cup dark chocolate chips
1 pkg Athens Mini Fillo Shells (prebaked)
1 ¾ cup skim milk
1 tbsp instant Hy-Vee coffee
1 pkg sugar-free instant white chocolate pudding
Hy-Vee Real Whipped Light Cream aerosol topping
¼ cup finely chopped dark chocolate-covered espresso beans
All you do:
1. Melt chocolate chips on HIGH in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Spoon approximately ¼ tsp chocolate in bottom of each fillo shell. Chill in freezer for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Pour milk into medium bowl; add instant coffee to milk and stir until dissolved.
3. Add contents of instant pudding and whisk until slightly thickened.
4. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of pudding mixture into fillo shells, mounding sightly.
5. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Right before serving, top with whipped topping and chopped dark chocolate.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 80, Total fat 4 g, Sodium 130 mg, Total carbohydrates 10, sugar 5 g, Protein 2 g