MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Blakesburg house fire kills dog, destroys home

Family member, Deb Briggs told KTVO the family's dog was locked in a kennel and couldn't escape the fire/KTVO

A Blakesburg family lost its dog and home to a fire late Sunday afternoon.

Around 5:30 p.m., firefighters were called to the 200 block of South High Street. The house was engulfed in flames when crews arrived.

Blakesburg Fire Chief Jim Deevers told KTVO no one was home when the fire started, but the family's dog was inside.

KTVO spoke with a family member at the scene Monday morning, who said the dog was locked in a kennel and couldn’t escape.

Deb Briggs would not speak on camera, but she did tell us her son and his family were living there at the time of the fire.

Briggs added that she had owned the house for 17 years before passing it on to its current owner.

Investigators believe there was an electrical issue with the home’s air conditioning unit.

Deevers said the fire started in the room with the A/C and eventually spread to the attic.

Crews fought the blaze for nearly six hours. The house is a total loss.


Trending