Centerville High School evacuates following fire in teachers lounge
Thu, 09 Jan 2014 23:38:11 GMT —
UPDATE: Centerville Schools will be closed Friday.
Centerville High School was evacuated Thursday after a fire erupted inside.
Around 12:15 p.m., the Centerville Fire Department was dispatched for a fire alarm inside the high school.
Office staff notified the dispatcher that it was a confirmed fire in the area designated as the teachers' lounge.
The school was completely evacuated per school protocol and everybody made it out safely.
"Teachers and students did a wonderful job," said Centerville School District Superintendent Anthony Ryan. "The support staff within the high school office did a fantastic job with notification and communication entities as well. There were no injuries to students or staff."
The whole school district was given an early dismissal at 1:15 p.m.
The investigation into the incident revealed the fire began in an electrical outlet and spread to a nearby couch. No foul play is suspected.
The cost of damages are unknown at this time.
The district will decide Thursday evening whether or not school will be in session Friday.