75 / 58
      77 / 49
      64 / 43

      Deadly June trailer fire was caused by cigarettes

      <p>The June 24 deadly mobile home fire at Shockey's Trailer Court was caused by the mishandling of cigarettes.</p><p> </p>

      We now know what caused that fire that killed a Kirksville mother and daughter.

      It was back on the morning of June 24 when the Kirksville Fire Department was called to a mobile home fire at Shockey's Trailer Court.

      When firefighters arrived on the scene they were able to enter the home immediately.

      When they did, they found the bodies of Bernice Johnson, 78, of Kirksville and her daughter, Lynice Newton, 54.

      Kirksville Fire Chief Tom Collins told us Wednesday that the fire has been ruled accidental. He said the probable cause was the mishandling of cigarettes.

      "It's pretty much what we expected but we never released the results until all the old facts are in just to make sure there was nothing else involved in the incident," Chief Collins said.

      The fire started in the living room of the trailer. Collins added the trailer had multiple working smoke detectors.

      Adair County Coroner Brian Noe told us Wednesday the toxicology report showed only prescription drugs in the women's systems. The official cause of death was smoke inhalation.

      For more, click here to the previous story.