Dry weather and the burning of garbage are blamed for a Friday afternoon grass fire east of Kirksville.
The fire happened just before 3:30pm at 31621 Horse Shoe Lake Way in Adair County. The home owners were burning brush and trash when the fire began. The flames spread to a nearby field and then caught an old shed on fire. Firefighters got it put out before it could do much damage. Fire crews who responded are stressing the importance of not burning garbage when the ground is dry, due to the high risk of sparking a fire. Firefighters checked the perimeter and put out any hot spots left in the area where the fire began. No injuries were reported.