Two Friday afternoon house fires kept Ottumwa firefighters hopping.
The Ottumwa Fire Department was called to a basement fire on Walnut Street just before 1 p.m..
While on the scene, they were called to another house fire in the 400 block of North Madison Street.
The fire on Madison appeared to have been electrical, and fire officials may have started in the attic.
Although they were shaken up, everyone in the house made it out of the house safely, all thanks to some observant people nearby
â??Someone from the pawn shop came over and told us that our house was on fire. We didn't realize it. We came out, seen the smoke coming out, and I started getting my animals out and our grandchildren out,â?? Leroy Jessop, a resident of the Madison Street home, said.
Jessop says his grandchildren are scared, but they will be alright.
He told KTVO he was amazed at how fast the fire department arrived on the scene.