A local grass fire is dangerous proof of just how dry it is out there.
The call about the fire came in at 3:35 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.
It charred approximately five acres in a pasture on the south end of Kirksville.
Eastern Fire Chief James Snyder told KTVO the land is owned by Jim Hill.
The fire was moving across Hill's field south of Cresthaven Trailer Court along Business Highway 63.
Firefighters fought to get the fire out before it could reach the mobile homes, which they managed to do.
As you might imagine, residents of the trailer court were a little on edge as the flames inched toward them.
Many of them were standing outside their homes keeping an eye on the blaze.
Crews tried to battle the blaze with rakes, but the heat was just too intense.
They brought in various ATVs equipped with water tanks to use in their fight.
Eighteen personnel were on the scene for about two-and-a-half hours.
Snyder said they don't know yet what started the fire, but he believes it was likely accidental.
He urges everyone to use extreme caution when it comes to outdoor burning because it only takes a small spark to start a fire like the one on Tuesday.