Have you tested your home for Radon?
Mon, 27 Jan 2014 19:30:00 GMT —
January is National Radon Action Month. Have you tested your home for it?
Radon is a gaseous radioactive element that occurs from the natural breakdown of uranium in rocks and soil. It is colorless, odorless and tasteless.
Radon becomes a risk indoors because as it continues to break down, it emits particles that enter into the lungs and increase a risk for lung cancer.
The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services offers free kits to test radon levels at your home.
"It's a short term test kit, you place it in the lowest area of your home that is livable such as the basement or put it on the first floor. It's generally higher the lower you go in your home. You leave it there for 2-7 days and then you mail it back in," said Stewart Blessing of the Adair County Health Department.
Radon is considered to be the second leading cause of lung cancer the U.S.