Investigators looking at unusual southside house fire in Ottumwa

An early morning house fire on Ottumwa's south side is being described as unusual. (KTVO)

UPDATE-New information has become available on the Wabash Avenue fire.

The Ottumwa Police Department released the following statement late Friday afternoon:

On Friday, June 16, 2017, at approximately 5:11 a.m., the Ottumwa Police Department received a 911 call about a disturbance taking place at 713 Wabash. Police responded and found two residents of 713 Wabash outside of the house and the house on fire.

A male suspect was on top of the front porch roof when officers arrived. The suspect then jumped off of the roof which caused the suspect to lose consciousness. The suspect was transported to a medical facility for treatment of his injuries.

The victim was identified as Alyssa Ryan, of 713 Wabash. The victim reported to police that a Violation of a Restraining Order took place as a result of this incident. Police and Fire Department personnel are investigating the circumstances leading to the fire.

No arrests have been made at this time.


UPDATE - New information on Friday morning's house fire is unlikely to be released anytime soon.

KTVO called Fire Chief Tony Miller on Friday afternoon and he told us that it's unlikely any new information will be available until next week.

Miller said that as of late Friday afternoon investigators were still at the house on Wabash Ave.

Miller believes a statement should be ready for release on Monday.


An early morning house fire on Ottumwa's south side is being described as unusual.

Firefighters responded to the residence in the 700 block of Wasbash Ave. just after 5 a.m. Friday.

Ottumwa Fire Chief Tony Miller told KTVO that there were no significant injuries to anyone living in the home.

He did say a cat was killed in the blaze.

Miller said his department is still looking into the incident so he wasn’t ready to comment.

He did describe the fire as one of the most unusual he has seen.

A KTVO reporter spoke to some neighbors who hadn’t really seen what happened.

They did say that Ottumwa police have been talking to residents.

An OPD spokesman told KTVO they expected to release a statement sometime on Friday.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off