Mon, 01 Sep 2014 13:10:26 GMT — Mushrooms are one of the most versatile vegetables. Their earthy, umami flavor adds a delicious, rich taste to any cuisine while increasing vitamin and mineral intake. From kabobs to burgers to tacos, mushrooms have a wide menu application and can even replace meat/poultry/seafood without compromising texture and flavor. Dietitian Debbie Guild shows us how easy it is to boost our vegetable intake by adding mushrooms to a main entrÃe or side dish. WATCH VIDEO ABOVE to learn more. In order to maintain peak quality and preserve shelf-life, baby portabella mushrooms should be stored in a brown paper bag once opened and should be wiped down gently with a damp cloth before using. Grilled Mushroom Quesadillas Yield: 6 portions Serving Size: 1 quesadilla (1 Flat-out wrap folded over 1/2 cup mushrooms, 1/3 avocado and 2 ounces cheese)
All you need: 2 pounds fresh Monterey Mushrooms baby portabella mushrooms, sliced 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 teaspoon salt 6 Flat-out wraps 2 cups (around 8 ounces) shredded cheese, such as reduced-fat Cheddar and Monterey Jack, plus extra for garnish 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced 6 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves (optional) Salsa Verde and diced tomatoes, for garnish
All you do:If Grillingâ??
- Preheat grill.
- While grill heats, toss mushrooms with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Cook mushroom in one layer in a grill basket, in batches if necessary. Cook until one side is deep brown, about six to 10 minutes.
- Turn and grill other side till a similar color is achieved, another six to 10 minutes. Cooking times may vary.
While mushrooms cook, assemble quesadillas; distribute half the cheeses and all avocado slices on left half of six tortillas. When mushrooms are done, distribute mushrooms and cilantro leaves, if desired, among tortillas and top with remaining cheese. Fold tortilla in half and grill or warm in skillet until cheese begins to melt, and then flip to cook other side. Transfer to cutting board, cut into wedges and serve with salsa Verde, tomatoes and additional cheese. Note: If a grill basket is not available, layer several sheets of foil together and fold up sides to make a shallow pan, or use a disposable foil pan. Add a single layer of mushrooms and cook, without stirring, for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms become red-brown on one side. Flip mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes more, until other side is same color.
- Heat olive oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add a single layer of mushrooms and cook, without stirring, for about five minutes or until mushrooms become red-brown on one side.
- Add salt, flip mushrooms and cook about five minutes more, until other side is same color.