No charges filed yet in Kirksville stabbing case

Police and prosecutors say no charges will be filed at this time in connection with a Tuesday evening stabbing in Kirksville.

At around 6:40 p.m., a man was found in the front yard of his apartment at 1010 Kings Road.

He was suffering from a stab wound and had collapsed onto the ground.

On Wednesday, police released the identity of the victim.

He is Timothy Clayborn, 24, of Kirksville.

He is the older brother of the suspect, who was taken into custody shortly after the incident a few blocks away.

The suspect was released from custody Wednesday afternoon with no formal charges being filed.

KTVO is not releasing his name since he has not been charged with a crime at this time.

Police Chief Jim Hughes said it is still an active, on-going investigation.

"It's not unusual in these kinds of circumstances, for witness statements not to line up exactly,â?? said Hughes. â??In fact, in some instances, we worry if they're exactly alike, but that is one of the things that we'll be looking at. Certainly there was, at the time, and I think even today, clearly probably cause to determine that certain types of crime occurred. It's just that we want to make sure that we have everything nailed down as best we can before we decide exactly what charges need to be filed."

Adair County Prosecutor Matt Wilson also reiterated that the investigation into Tuesday evening's stabbing incident is continuing.

He told KTVO he is waiting on Kirksville police investigators to provide him with pieces of evidence, statements and word that they believe they have probable cause against the suspect.

Wilson said he does anticipate charges being filed in this case at some point, possibly against multiple people, but just not yet.

"The police department and I have visited, and in talking with the detectives who are working this case, we feel at this point, it's best that we (let) this individual go, that we proceed with continuing the investigation and finding more evidence and... answers as to what really went on before we formally charge anybody," said Wilson.

Wilson said it is his responsibility to make sure he has enough evidence to prove a suspect is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

A spokeswoman from Northeast Regional Medical Center said Clayborn has been treated and released from the hospital.

Click HERE for the original story about the stabbing.