OFD responds to small ammonia leak at Cargill
Update 1/10/14 1:15 pm:
There will be no second shift Friday, January 10, 2014 at Cargill Meat Solutions in Ottumwa. Stay tuned for further development on shift schedules for Saturday, January 11, 2014.
UPDATE: Cargill's Director of Communications Mike Martin said two people were taken to the hospital as a result of the early morning ammonia leak. One was a Cargill supervisor that is in stable condition, the other a contract security guard that asked for medical attention. Martin said he believes the guard's condition is not life-threatening.
Martin said Cargill is looking into the cause of the leak, which came from a valve in the ammonia system. Ammonia is used in the refrigeration unit in the plant.
Ottumwa Fire Chief Tony Miller tells KTVO that his department responded to a small ammonia leak at Cargill Meat Solutions in Ottumwa early Friday morning.
The first shift was sent home Friday morning as a safety precaution, but second shift will report for work on Friday at 2:30 pm. Martin said both shifts are planning to operate on Saturday.
According to Miller, firefighters arrived at the scene around 2:30 a.m. The Hazmat team entered the plant, found the leak and stopped it.
Miller says the plant did cancel the plant's first shift as a precaution and that his department closed the street to help control traffic.
Miller says that he believes that one person was sent to the hospital, but he was unable to positively confirm that fact.