74
      Sunday
      83 / 63
      Monday
      86 / 65
      Tuesday
      89 / 67

      Ottumwa Fire Department responds to garage fire

      Ottumwa firefighers respond to fire on 100 block of Ash Street.

      The Ottumwa Fire Department responded to a garage fire Monday morning.

      A resident called OFD saying a building behind Casey??s General Store on E. Main Street was fully engulfed in flames. OFD took all three fire trucks to the scene. When firefighters got there, they discovered the garage on the 100-block of Ash Street was on fire.

      ??I wouldn't have sent all three rigs to this small fire, but it was reported as fully involved, and I don't know how close it is to other buildings, so that's why we respond and are able to protect the other properties,?? Asst. Fire Chief Bill Trout said.

      Trout told us he believes an outlet shorted out and started the blaze. He estimates the fire did about $2,000 worth of damage to the property. The garage belongs to Ottumwa resident Levi Morrissey.