Propane gas leak prompts brief evacuation
Mon, 07 Apr 2014 21:03:41 GMT —
A propane gas leak Monday afternoon prompted the evacuation of a tire repair shop.
The leak happened around 2:45 at Hunter Tire in Kirksville.
Emergency crews, including Kirksville Police and Fire Departments, responded to the scene.
Kirksville Fire Chief Tom Collins says the leak came from a propane tank at Hunter Tire that's used to fill portable propane tanks for barbeque grills.
Batallion Chief Randy Singleton says Heetco was doing repairs on the large propane tank when a safety valve popped off, allowing all 400 gallons of propane to escape.
A section of Baltimore Street was blocked off and traffic was rerouted while the scene was being checked.