Report of smoke evacuates Ottumwa City Hall

Ottumwa Fire Depart. responds to a report of smoke at city hall

Update- The smoke at City Hall was apparently the result of the a burned-out elevator motor.

Ottumwa Fire Chief Tony Miller tells K-T-V-O that there was a very small fire that began when the motor in the building's elevator burned out. The main result was some smoke in the building.

Miller says that the incident was minor, and there were no injuries.


Just before 9 a.m. Monday, the Ottumwa Fire Department responded to a report of smoke in the attic of Ottumwa City Hall.

The building was evacuated while fire crews investigated the situation.

There was a smell of smoke in the air near the building, but no flames were visible.

Crews left the scene by 9:30 a.m.