Still no verdict in Techel Trial


The Jury returned to the courtroom around 4:30 p.m. Friday afternoon and announced they were still deadlocked. Defense Attorney Steve Gardner moved for a mistrial and at about 4:40 p.m. Judge Wilson granted the motion for a mistrial.



At about 3 p.m. Friday, Judge Daniel Wilson called the jury back into the courtroom. He questioned the jury foreman about the state of the deliberations. The jury foreman assured the judge they were hopelessly deadlocked. The judge asked the jurors individually if they agreed with that assessment and they agreed unanimously that they were deadlocked. Judge Wilson told them to return to the jury room and resume deliberations and he would call them back to the court later.

After the jury went back to work, defense attorney Steve Gardner made a motion for a mistrial and asked the judge to remove any members of the audience who were showing extreme emotion, saying it was either a deliberate or an inadvertent attempt to influence the jury. Judge Wilson did not grant a motion for mistrial.

The jury is expected back in the courtroom at some time Friday afternoon.


Original story:

After more than a full day of deliberations, the jury in the first-degree murder trial of Seth Techel has not yet reached a verdict.

Judge Dan Wilson called the jury and the attorneys into court around 4 p.m. He asked the jury foreman if they had reached a verdict, the foreman responded that they had not yet and Judge Wilson dismissed the jury for the day.

Judge Wilson gave the jurors the case around 4:30 on Wednesday, which means they've been deliberating for just under 8 hours. During that time, the jurors have not asked any questions or for any clarifications.

Court observers are not surprised that jurors have not yet reached a verdict, as more than a day of deliberations is not unusual in a complex case like this.

Back in March, jurors deliberated for more than three days before telling Judge Wilson that they were hopelessly deadlocked.

The jury will be back at work again at 9 a.m. on Friday.