Great Circle received a $31,000 grant from the Missouri Children's Trust Fund for its Incredible Years Parenting Program. Parents who partake in the 12-week researched based program will learn anger management, communication skills as well as strengthening family support networks and involvement with children's academic-related activities at home and in school.
??This program is offered to residents of Adair County,?? said Program Coordinator Lynn VanDolah. VanDolah said parents, caretakers, grandparents, daycare professionals, teachers basically anyone who wants to enrich their parenting skills can come to the class.
The program helps parents:
- Discover new ways to become more involved with your child
- Improve current skills of using praise, encouragement and focused attention to minimize your child??s negative behaviors.
- Discuss proactive alternatives to encourage positive child behaviors.
- Try different methods of family problem solving and managing conflict.
- Learn how other parents address issues within the family.
- Develop a support network.
The Incredible Years Program is provided at no cost to residents of Adair County and begins in September.
There are several flyers for the program at local physician offices and the Adair County Health Department.
If you would like more information on the program, contact Lynn VanDolah at 660-216-7332.