90
      Friday
      91 / 68
      Saturday
      90 / 72
      Sunday
      91 / 71

      Weekend house fire sends one Ottumwa Firefighter to hospital

      The hot and humid conditions in addition to a house fully engulfed in flames made for tough working conditions

      It was around 12:30 Saturday afternoon on the 1000 block of South Sheridan in Ottumwa when the Ottumwa Fire Department arrived on the scene to a residence that was fully engulfed in flames.

      Extra firefighters had to be called in because of the magnitude of the fire in addition to the hot and humid weather conditions.

      Firefighters came across a propane tank that had exploded which fed the fire.

      ??We had one firefighter who was taken to Ottumwa Regional Hospital with -- he was inside the structure and part of the ceiling had collapsed on him. A ladder had collapsed on him and he was taken to Ottumwa Regional and then one of the occupants of the home went by private vehicle to Ottumwa Regional smoke inhalation,?? said Fire Chief Tony Miller.

      The firefighter was released later that evening from the hospital.

      Chief Miller said the fire department would like to thank all of the citizens who came out and brought them refreshments while they were out fighting the fire, as it was in the 90??s on Saturday afternoon.