- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 rib of celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 tart green apple, peeled, cored, chopped (squash and apple should be at a 3 to 1 ratio)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- Pinches of nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper
1. Set a large saucepan over medium-high heat and heat the butter for 1-2 minutes. Do not let it turn brown. Add the onion, celery and carrot and saut for 5 minutes, taking care to turn the heat down if the vegetables begin to brown.
2. Add squash, apple, broth and water. Bring to boil. Cover, turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until squash and carrots soften. Puree, and return to a clean pot.
3. Add salt and spices to taste, and garnish with chives or parsley.
Yield: Serves 4-6.
Stuffed Carnival Squash
Roasted Carnival Squash
Cut squash in half.