Debate continues over who qualifies as a victim of the Las Vegas shooting

The committee in charge of the Las Vegas Victims' Fund is holding public meetings on how to split up the donations. (Craig Fiegener | KSNV)

A county-appointed panel overseeing the Las Vegas Victims’ Fund heard from people who survived the Route 91 concert shooting.

“You know, I don't think any of us wanted to be a part of history, but we now are,” said Sue Ann Cornwell, who drove people to the hospital in her truck. “Denise Burditus, she passed away in the back of my truck, on the way to the hospital."

RELATED | 1 October investigation: What we know so far

The GoFundMe account, established by county commissioner Steve Sisolak, has swelled to over $11.5 million.

Those funds will be combined with donations to the Las Vegas Victims Fund and the National Compassion Fund for a total of nearly $16 million.

A current draft plan, for surviving concertgoers to receive a gift benefit from the fund, is tied to how long they were hospitalized.

“Us victims who were not put in the hospital, or did not stay, we have mental issues, and we have physical issues,” said an unidentified woman, who was a vendor at the concert.

RELATED | Victims' Fund committee chairman says funds could go out in late March

Many of the people who spoke asked the panel to change its victim definition to include people suffering from PTSD.

Victims of the concert shooting can file claims online at

People who submit claims by Jan. 31, 2018, will be eligible for the first round of benefit disbursements, scheduled to be paid starting Mar. 5, 2018.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off