The Indian Hills golf team is headed to the NJCAA Division I National Championship
Wed, 01 May 2013 18:47:26 GMT —
Indian Hills couldn't hold onto a slim one-stroke lead after the second round and finished second to Dodge City CC in the NJCAA District III Championship this week at the Sand Creek Station Golf Course.
The Warriors took the single-shot advantage over Dodge City into Tuesday's final round, but shot a team total of 317 over the last 18 holes and wound up four strokes out of first place. Hutchinson CC was a distant third.
Indian Hills did have the lowest one-round team total, their 291 in the opening round.
IHCC sophomore Kevin Workman had a solid tournament and finished one shot away from medalist honors.
Workman fired a two-under par 70 in the opening round and followed with a 73 and a 78 to end up one shot behind medalist Mariano Rossi of Dodge City.
The Warriors had four other golfers finish in the top 10.
Connor Peck was 4th, Mitch Tucker 5th, Colin Pearson tied for 7th and William White tied for 9th place.
Next up for Indian Hills is the NJCAA Division I National Championship in Lubbock, Texas May 14-17.
The Warriors have won the national title each of the last two years and have to be considered one of the main contenders going into this year's meet.
NJCAA District III Championship
1. Dodge City 297-297-312=906;
2. Indian Hills 291-302-317=910;
3. Hutchinson 305-303-315=923;
4. Iowa Western 300-306-329=935;
5. Johnson County 312-311-324=947;
6. Garden City 311-324-338=973;
7. Coffeyville 317-325-342=984;
8. Barton County 324-326-365=1015;
9. Colby 334-327-357=1018;
10. Kansas City Kansas 335-340-352=1027;
NW Kansas Tech 406-414-428=1248
Indian Hills Scores
2. Kevin Workman 70-73-78=221;
4. Connor Peck 72-77-78=227;
5. Mitch Tucker 74-74-80=228;
T7. Colin Pearson 78-74-79=231;
T9. William White 74-78-80=232;
T17. Ben Ludlam 71-77-87=235