A good BBQ is a safe BBQ. Grilling season is upon us and we want to make sure you are safe! Capt. Joe Schilling, from the Kirksville Fire Department, stopped by the set of Good Morning Heartland to share some grilling tips. WATCH VIDEO ABOVE to learn more.
â?¢ Check grill hoses for cracking, brittleness, holes and leaks. Make sure there are no sharp bends in the hose or tubing.
â?¢ Make sure your grillâ??s propane tank has a three-prong gas valve handle. As of April 1, 2002, the three-prong design replaced a five-prong handle as the safety standard.
â?¢ Move gas hoses as far away as possible from hot surfaces and dripping hot grease.
â?¢ Always keep propane gas containers upright.
â?¢ Never store a spare gas container under or near the grill or indoors.
â?¢ Never store or use flammable liquids, like gasoline, near the grill.
â?¢ Never keep a filled container in a hot car or car trunk. Heat will cause the gas pressure to increase, which may open the relief valve and allow gas to escape.
â?¢ Make sure your spark igniter is consistently generating a spark to create a flame and burn the propane gas. If the flame is not visible, the heavier-than-air propane gas may be escaping and could cause an explosion.
â?¢ Never bring the propane tank into the house.
â?¢ When using barbecue grills on decks or patios, be sure to leave sufficient space from siding and eaves.
â?¢ Keep children and pets far away from grills.
Charcoal Grill Safety Tips:
Keep in mind that charcoal when burned in grills produces carbon monoxide. Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can accumulate to toxic levels in closed environments.
Never burn charcoal inside of homes, vehicles, tents or campers.
Charcoal should never be used indoors, even if ventilation is provided.
Since charcoal produces CO fumes until the charcoal is completely extinguished, do not store the grill indoors with freshly used coals.
401 N. Franklin St.
Kirksville, MO. 63501