Iowa accepting applications for fireworks retailers

File Photo.

The weather has been cold for weeks, but that doesn't mean the Fourth of July isn't right around the corner.

And that means fireworks.

This summer will represent the second year that it has been legal to buy, sell and use fireworks in the Hawkeye State.

The State Fire Marshal Division opened its online licensing portal for consumer fireworks March 1, 2018 and is currently accepting applications for licenses for the retail sales of consumer fireworks.

Retailers are encouraged to submit their applications early so that the application can be processed and the license issued prior to the first day for sales of consumer fireworks.

A total of 664 consumer fireworks sales licenses were issued in 2017.

About ten of those were issued in the City of Bridges.

Ottumwa's Assistant Fire Chief Doug Overturf said all tents or buildings used for the sale of fireworks must pass inspection through the city or the state.

"I think somebody has to be there 24 hours if it's a tent and there are different rules for tents and buildings," Overturf said.

Iowa law allows the retail sales of consumer fireworks in permanent buildings from June 1 to July 8, and from December 10 to January 3.

Retail sales of consumer fireworks are allowed in temporary structures from June 13 to July 8.

A license issued by the State Fire Marshal is required before any person, business or entity can sell consumer fireworks.

Retailers who are renewing a license for the same site can log into the licensing portal and submit the renewal application and site plan, if applicable.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off