House Intel Republicans launch "Phase 2" of anti-Trump dossier investigation
House Republicans are launching “Phase two" of their investigation into the anti-Trump dossier which focuses on the State Department.
Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), wants answers from several current and former Obama and Trump administration officials about the anti-Trump dossier.
“These are all questions that the public not only should know and have a right to know but I think think they want to know,” said Rep. Devin Nunes.
In a letter obtained by Sinclair Broadcast Group, dated Feb. 20, Chairman Nunes asks several questions ranging from when officials became aware of the dossier, how they handled the information in it and if they know it was funded by Democrats. Chairman Nunes is threatening subpoenas if officials do not comply with the request.
“We’re giving them a couple weeks to answer it -- you will be subpoenaed and you will come before Congress to tell us when you knew about this,” he said.
The dossier was written by former British spy Christopher Steele and paid for by the Hillary Clinton campaign and the Democratic National Committee. The controversial GOP memo, released earlier this month, alleges the FBI largely relied on the dossier to get a FISA warrant to spy on Trump’s campaign adviser, Carter Page.
A source on the committee tells Sinclair that the panel is focusing on former Clinton operatives - Sidney Blumenthal and Cody Shearer.
The top Democrat on the committee Adam Schiff’s office said in a statement, “We don’t have a comment as the Minority has not received a copy of any letter from the Chairman or his staff on this subject."
Democrats call the GOP memo misleading and are working to get their own rebuttal memo released publicly.
Nunes is giving officials until Friday, March 2 to respond to the questionnaire.